If you have been out of the workforce for a long time due to voluntary or involuntary unemployment, it can be daunting to jump back into a job search. Re-entering the workforce comes with significant challenges, especially as some employers are reluctant to hire someone who hasn’t had a job for a while. Fortunately, these five tips for re-entering the workforce can help you to find a new job that is a good fit:
- Assess your current skill level. Know exactly what you are offering so you can find employers who are looking for people with your particular set of skills. Get out your resume, dust it off, update it with any relevant volunteer work you may have done, and start looking for positions that are going to be a good fit with your current experience.
- Renew certifications or update your credentials. If you need certifications or licenses that you have allowed to lapse, get your credentials in order before you actually begin looking for work. If you’ve been out of work for a while, you may also want to take a course to brush up on your skills so you’ll have something recent to add to your resume.
- Set realistic expectations. If you got off the career track, you may not be able to jump in at the exact place you were when you left your last job. Be willing to work your way up if you need to, just as long as you get your foot in the door with a good company that has plenty of opportunities.
- Make connections. When re-entering the workforce, get in contact with your old professional network. Let them know you’re embarking on a job search and find out if they have any leads. You may be able to get back to working at your old company or with people who knew you from a previous position.
- Work with a staffing service. A professional staffing service can help connect you to employers who are willing to hire even if you’ve been out of the workforce for a while. When the staffing service taps into their network and recommends you as a candidate, employers are less likely to be wary of bringing you on since the staffing service has shown a belief that you are qualified.
High Profile has extensive experience helping job seekers in Dallas, Fort Worth, and surrounding areas who are re-entering the workforce. Give our staffing service a call today at 972-991-7900 or contact us online to get help with your job search and learn more about how we can make your re-entry into the workforce easier than you imagined.