It’s a new year. Many of us are setting—and trying to keep—New Year’s resolutions we’ve set for ourselves. Whatever your goals might be this year, personal or professional, we could all use a little help sticking to them. Read on to learn more about a few goal-setting strategies and resources you can use in 2022 to make and keep to your goals.
How To Set SMART Career Goals
The SMART Goal system
The SMART goal system is very popular, and with good reason. It’s highly effective, and it couldn’t be simpler.
Smart goals are:
- Specific – Your goal should be (relatively) simple, and it needs to be specific. Don’t make it too broad. Instead of “Find a better job,” make it “Find a job in accounting that I love.”
- Measurable – Use numbers whenever possible to make your goal precisely measurable. If you want to increase your salary this year, set a number goal rather than just thinking of it in general terms.
- Achievable – It’s important that your goal is realistic and achievable. While it’s great to shoot for the stars, it’s also wise to be realistic so that you’re not disappointed.
- Relevant – Think about how your goal relates to other aspects of your life. Is it a relevant goal for this period in your career? How will achieving the goal serve you over the next year? Two? Five?
- Time-bound – Put a time limit of some sort on your goal. Otherwise, there’s no motivation to achieve it in the first place.
Are you a visual person? Writing down your goals and the steps to get there is probably a good way for you to go about goal-setting. And that’s where a resource like the Passion Planner comes in. The company’s wide range of planners are designed to help users focus on what really matters and set realistic, achievable, and beneficial goals. The company’s website even features a planner quiz that can help you decide what product is right for you.
The SWOT analysis is another way of looking at your goals that might suit you. SWOT is Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats. All you need to do is write down some of these four things related to your goal. What are the strengths that help get you there? The weaknesses? Opportunities along the path? Threats to the achievement? You’ll be surprised at how clear of a picture you get when you take a step back and look at the results.
We Can Help You Achieve Your Goals
Is your goal for the new year to get a better job? High Profile can help with that.
Check out our Job Portal and contact High Profile today to start your search. Call us at 972-991-7900 or submit your resume.