Administrative Professionals Week was created when Mary Barrett (President of what is now known as the International Association of Administrative Professionals) met with C. King Woodbridge (President of Dictaphone Corporation) and Victor Toldoya (a public relations account executive) to address the national shortage of skilled office workers. While working together, the idea for a National Secretaries Week was born. Although the name of the holiday has changed several times over the years to reflect the changing job titles and expanding responsibilities of the administrative force, it’s purpose is still to celebrate those that are often the ‘glue that holds the organization together’ – the administrative professionals!
With the first official period of celebration in June of 1952, Administrative Professionals Week has been celebrated for over 60 years now. This year’s will be April 21st – 27th and Administrative Professionals Day will be on April 24th. While Administrative Professionals Week may have originally been created to address a shortage of workers, today it’s an excellent opportunity to honor and recognize the work of secretaries, administrative assistants and other office professionals for their contribution to the workplace. It is an event that is celebrated in many countries through social gatherings, community events and corporate sponsored celebrations.
How do you choose the right gift or way to celebrate? Set yourself apart by showing your administrative professional your appreciation with a gift that’s personal and tailored to their specific likes. Not sure where to begin? There are a plethora of options, from handcrafted finds to sleek high-tech gadgets and everything in between. Here are a few suggestions to help:
- Tuition reimbursement for classes
- Gift certificate to their favorite shop, restaurant or spa
- Membership dues for a professional – local or national- organization (such as the International Association of Administrative Professionals)
- Registration for a relevant conference or continuing education class
- Monetary bonus for exemplary performance
- Lunch out on the company
- iPad or e-reader, along with a gift certificate, for some new reads
- Speakers for their MP3 player
- Handcrafted items (try checking etsy.com)
- Yoga classes to relax and detox
Regardless of how you choose to celebrate this holiday, all our administrative professionals deserve the respect of recognition for their efforts, hard work, and dedication as the hard working people on the frontlines of our businesses.