LinkedIn’s 2022 Workforce Confidence Index uncovered concerning statistics about why approximately 21,400 Gen Z employees surveyed planned to leave their jobs within the next 6 months:
- 80% desired better alignment with their interests or values
- 76% wanted more opportunities to learn or practice new skills or expertise
- 76% desired better compensation or benefits
- 75% wanted to pursue a new industry or job function
- 61% desired more opportunities to move up or increase responsibilities
Why Gen Z Job Hops
According to a September 2022 news release from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median tenure of workers ages 25 to 34 is 2.8 years. The most common reasons why Gen Z job hops include:
- Possessing unique skill sets that employers desire
- Offering significant value to companies
- Having more job openings than workers to fill them
- Expecting multiple job offers after graduation
How Can You Modify Your Hiring Strategy in Response to Gen Z Job Hopping?
You can use these methods to update your hiring strategy to hire and retain Gen Z employees:
- Maintain an active talent community: Attract talent from a range of sources to keep your talent pools engaged. Also, use candidate relationship management software to develop relationships with candidates who apply to your job openings.
- Decrease your time to hire: An increasing need to hire over the long term requires lowering your cost of hiring. Therefore, you should streamline your interview process and ask relevant questions to increase the odds of a good hire.
- Prioritize work-life balance: Demonstrate flexibility by providing remote or hybrid work options, a flexible schedule, and generous paid time off (PTO).
- Offer competitive income and benefits: Emphasize the ability to earn bonuses and pay increases to show you value your employees’ contributions and results.
- Demonstrate employee impact on your company: Clarify how the job duties and responsibilities help reach company goals. Also, share actionable steps to take in the first 90 days of employment to begin creating an impact.
Do You Want Help to Modify Your Hiring Strategy?
Reach out to High Profile for help to modify your hiring strategy in response to Gen Z job hopping. Contact us to get started today.