Elevating your performance as an accounting and finance manager increases your influence on your team. Increasing your influence helps your team grow and add more value to your organization.
Understanding which areas to focus on helps you be a better accounting and finance manager. These suggestions can help.
Choose among these methods to be a better accounting and finance manager.
Maintain Your Expectations
Set high but attainable employee expectations:
- Develop challenging employee goals.
- Encourage your team to add to their skill sets.
- Empower your employees to advance their careers.
Focus on Employee Motivators
Pay attention to what motives each employee:
- Find out whether money, additional time off, or another motivator is important to each employee.
- Use each employee’s source of motivation to reward them for their contributions and results.
- Elevate employee engagement on the individual level.
Maintain open lines of communication with your team:
- Regularly communicate your expectations.
- Consider each employee’s point of view.
- Encourage questions, concerns, and open discussions.
Spend more time listening to your team than talking:
- Welcome your employees’ questions, concerns, and opinions.
- Ask follow-up questions to gather more information.
- Repeat what you heard to check your understanding.
Stay open to new ideas and perspectives:
- Your employees have different thoughts and viewpoints that can benefit your team.
- Encourage your team to share, develop, and implement their best ideas to benefit your company.
- Support innovation and efficiency.
Schedule regular breaks into your day so your team follows your example:
- Walk away from your desk.
- Engage in a relaxing activity such as walking, meditating, or reading.
- Take an hour for lunch to eat healthy foods and talk with coworkers who are on break.
Encourage your employees to talk about issues as they arise:
- Quickly working to find a resolution increases your credibility.
- Solving problems increases efficiency.
- Resolving issues supports team collaboration.
Continuously add to your skill set so your team follows your example:
- Learn new technology.
- Expand your business knowledge.
- Earn accounting and finance certifications.
Learn from Your Mistakes
Use your mistakes as opportunities for learning and growth:
- Admit when you are wrong.
- Share what you learned.
- Demonstrate how you will do better next time.
Are You Ready to Advance Your Accounting and Finance Career?
Partner with High Profile to find your next accounting and finance role and advance your career. Visit our job board to get started today.